A few facts about healthy eating while you are in orthodontic treatment
- Please do not eat hard, gooey, chewy, or sticky foods!
- Eating these foods can loosen bands, break or bend wires, and detach brackets.
- You may not discover the problem until hours or days later.
- If the braces are broken, they cannot move your teeth and this will result in a longer treatment time.
So stay away from things like:
- Caramel candy
- Tootsie Rolls
- Beef jerky
- Slim Jims
- Pizza crust (hard)
- Tortilla chips
- Pretzels (hard)
- Suckers (any hard candy)
Fresh vegetables and fruits
- Be sure to cut fresh vegetables and fruits, such as carrots and apples, into bite-sized pieces.
- Do not bite with the front teeth! Use the back and side teeth instead.
- Cut corn on the cob off the cob.
- Be sure to cut meat away from the bone.
- Biting onto a bone like a chicken leg or ribs can break your braces.
- Cut meat into bite-sized pieces.
And remember … never chew on pens or pencils
- Keep fingers out of your mouth
- Limit soft drinks, especially dark colors (due to staining)
- NO POPCORN (except hull-less)